We all eat, yet people are often disconnected from where their food comes from and how it gets produced. We may not realize the harmful impacts of what we eat on the environment and our climate. In fact, agriculture contributes 10% of global greenhouse gas emissions. However, agriculture can also be a powerful tool to protect our environment and mitigate climate change. Through implementation of sustainable best management practices, including regenerative agriculture, farms across the world have the power to make a big impact.
In Tennessee, Caney Fork Farms is a leader in carbon farming and other regenerative agriculture practices that help address the climate crisis. In this River Talk, the Cumberland River Compact’s Sustainable Agriculture Program Manager Nicholle Gerde joins Ranan Sokoloff, formerly the Vegetable and Agroforesty Manager with Caney Fork Farms, to discuss their innovative practices and approach.
About Caney Fork Farms
Caney Fork Farms is paving the way to a better future by utilizing carbon farming and regenerative agriculture to fight climate change. Headquartered on the family farm of former Vice President Al Gore, they are dedicated to sustainable agriculture, agroforestry, soil recarbonization, soil carbon research and conservation. Listen to find out more, and don’t forget to check out their website or even sign up for a CSA.
In this podcast:
- What is the origin story of Caney Fork Farms?
- What is a best management practice?
- What is carbon farming and how does it address climate change?
- How can we increase the scale of carbon farming and regenerative agriculture?
- What is special about farming in Tennessee and the Southeast?
- How has the Covid-19 pandemic changed farming and the local food scene?
- How can regenerative agriculture practices help us prepare for future climate change?
- Restoration Agriculture by Mark Shepard
- Cultivating Resilience by Laura Lengnick
- Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life by Barbara Kingsolver
- Route 9 Cooperative
- River Hills Harvest
- Ocean Spray
- Organic Valley
- The Biblical Flood That Will Drown California
- Iowa derecho in August was most costly thunderstorm disaster in U.S. history
- Tennessee Immigrant and Refugee Rights Coalition
- Trap Garden
- Hunger for Justice
- Whetstone Magazine
- Casa Azafran
- Bliss and the Trash Plants
- The Emerald Mile by Kevin Fedarko