- This event has passed.
Life Support: Tennessee Water Resources for Grades 6-12
July 11, 2022 @ 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM$10
STEM education resources, lessons, and techniques for your 6-12 classroom!
6-12 Teacher Training
Join the Cumberland River Compact for a 3-hour professional development session on water resources, water careers, and STEM education connections!
Tennesseeans are lucky to have clean and abundant water across our state. From mountain streams to our faucets, water is vital to everything we do. Our Life Support Curriculum explores water in our state and highlights the STEM careers available for those that want to work to protect our water resources.
6-12 teachers will gain knowledge and materials on how to better prepare students for jobs in critical water resource roles that support human life. Water resource jobs are facing a personnel shortage, with an expected 50% of the workforce set to retire in the next 5 to 10 years. Together with the TN Association of Utility Districts, we have designed lesson plans that will excite and encourage students to dive deeper into this career path, while learning about water. The Cumberland River Compact will provide lessons and training on the science behind water management throughout Tennessee.
The training is great for teachers in grades 6th through 12th, environmental science educators, and CTE teachers.
What You’ll Learn:
- Local content and examples to support your science content in the 6-12 classroom
- How to implement the Cumberland River Compact’s Life Support Curriculum
- Early access to lesson plans, career spotlight videos, and resources.
- Techniques to easily engage your students in science and engineering practices in the classroom.
What You’ll Come Away With:
- Standards-aligned lessons for your 6-12 classroom.
- Connection to a state-wide network of educators.
A certificate for 3-hours of Professional Development will be provided via email after the training. You must actively participate throughout the session to earn the full hours.
Light refreshments will be provided.