About the Program
The climate is changing here in Nashville. Join the Nashville Youth Climate movement by attending our annual Nashville Youth Climate Summit, implementing an action project, or participating in our leadership retreat. Help build a future for Nashville that is safe, equitable, and sustainable.
2024 Youth Climate Summit
The 5th Annual Nashville Youth Climate Summit will take place on February 24th, 2024. Join young people from across Nashville to learn, collaborate, and take action on climate change.
Youth Climate Action Project Details
Are you eligible?
- Current Nashville high school student or student group.
- The project must take place in Nashville, TN (Davidson County)
- Award money can only be used for supplies necessary to implement the project.
- Projects should be “shovel-ready” to start in March 2024 and finish by May 31st 2024.
- Preference is given to students or student groups in attendance at the Nashville Youth Climate Summit.
- Projects should be youth-led but must also have an adult or teacher advisor.
Each project must have one student leader who will:
- Serve as the main point of contact for the project with the Cumberland River Compact and your adult advisor.
- Communicate updates to the rest of the project team.
- Represent the project and the project team in media interviews with Nashville SC.
- Represent the project at the April 27, 2024 Nashville SC Greener Goals Match.
- Be responsible for submitting the final report to the Cumberland River Compact.
What types of projects can we do?
The Youth Climate Action Project is the chance to make your ideas a reality! We are interested in sponsoring projects that are new or in the idea phase, or projects that you have already started! Here are some examples: planting new trees in your community to reduce heat, planting a native landscape to help pollinators, creating an art piece that shows what climate means in your community, installing a hydroponic system at your school, purchasing a TerraCycle box to recycle items, creating educational materials for your school, starting a composting program in your school or community, or something else! Check out the 2023 projects for some inspiration.
What type of help will we get?
The Cumberland River Compact will provide one-on-one mentoring and technical assistance to implement your project. The afternoon of the Nashville Youth Climate Summit will be another opportunity to refine your project idea. You can attend our drop-in virtual office hours at 4:30 pm CST on either January 30th, February 7th, February 21st, or February 28th. Register for each session so we know you will be there! Once your project is funded, the Cumberland River Compact will be available for virtual and in-person assistance. If you have questions during the application, reach out to Catherine Price.
Why should I apply?
The Youth Climate Action Projects are an awesome way to make something happen for your school or community! Plus, Nashville SC will recognize all projects through online and in-game promotions!
How to Apply
- Gather your friends, brainstorm your project, create a list of supplies you need, and get ready to make it a reality!
- Connect with an adult advisor (like a teacher) who can help you along the way.
- Register to attend the Nashville Youth Climate Summit on February 24, 2024.
- Refine your project idea at the Nashville Youth Climate Summit on February 24th.
- Submit your project idea no later than March 3rd, 2024.
Catch Up On Past Summits
Miss the summit? Not to worry! You can learn all about the events on our blogs. Or watch recorded sessions covering Climate Change 101, climate justice and racial justice, sustainable food systems, climate change communication, sustainable fashion, youth organizing, Nashville’s sustainability plans, and climate entrepreneurship, and more!