The Nashville Bridge Company was organized in 1902 by Mr. Arthur J. Dyer. Through the years, the Company exp
erienced a continuous and expanding development, with main operations of fabricating and erecting structural steel for buildings, bridges and towers. The Marine Department of the Nashville Bridge Company built barges and tow
oats. As early as WWI, they filled contracts for the United States Navy, building ships and barges. During World War II, there was increased production of combat vessels and barges for the Army and Navy. Vultee and Nashville Bridge Company accounted for 72% of the city’s war supply contracts.
In April of 2013, The Bridge Building was awarded LEED-Platinum Certification. LEED, Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, is the foremost rating system developed by the U.S. Green Building Council for distinguishing buildings that excel in being designed, constructed, maintained, and operated for improved environmental and view website human health performance. The Bridge Building holds the world’s highest rating within the Core and Shell category and is the first building in the state of Tennessee to receive a platinum rating.
The building renovations began in 2010 as part of the riverfront redevelopment initiative led by the offices of Mayor Karl Dean, Metro Development and Housing Agency (MDHA) and the Metro Parks Department. Key green features include a geothermal heat pump mechanical system, LED lighting, solar water heating system, rainwater harvesting system, and high-efficiency windows.