The Rockcastle River Watershed is approximately 765 square miles and has an estimated population of 58,900 people. Use the map below to find out if you live in the watershed or to simply explore! The area within the purple boundary is within the watershed.
Water Quality in the Rockcastle River Watershed
There are 1,083 miles of streams and rivers in the Rockcastle River Watershed. Within the watershed, the State of Kentucky reports that 100 miles are impaired. The most common impairments are sediment, nutrients, and bacteria. The most common source of impairment is agriculture.
Looking for Adventure? The Rockcastle’s Got You Covered!
- Bee Rock Campground
- Cane Creek Wildlife Management Area
- Daniel Boone National Forest
- John B. Stephenson Memorial Forest State Nature Preserve
- Paddling the Rockcastle
Learn More about the Rockcastle Watershed
- KDOW – 303d Report on Impaired KY Waters
- EPA’s Surf Your Watershed Site: Rockcastle
- Obtain NatureServe species data for this watershed (including rare and endangered species)
Page produced in collaboration with
The Nature Conservancy of Tennessee