Pre-Trip Checklist: Feel like you’re forgetting something? Use this checklist to make sure you don’t leave something important behind.
Safety: Stay safe on the water; use the links below to prepare you for any situation!
- Basic Safety Tips
- First Aid Tips (This site is very fishing specific and does not cover basic first aid.)
- Red Cross First Aid Courses
- Algal Bloom Safety Precautions
- Consumption Advisories: Due to water contaminant concentrations, there are a few risks to consider when consuming fish. Below are the state resources that provide information about fish consumption advisories.
- Basics: Never fished before? Below are resources that can help you get started.
- Advanced: For the advanced angler, below are the Tennessee and Kentucky Fishing Guides to help you grow your knowledge and push your limits!
Licensing and Regulations: Licensing and Regulations are incredibly important to maintain healthy fish populations. Without these laws, we would not be able to fish in many of our streams and rivers today. Please follow the law and maintain our fisheries so that future generations can continue enjoying one of our favorite pastimes.
- Kentucky Dept. of Fish and Wildlife Resources Regulations:
- Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency Regulations:
Stream Gauges: It’s always a good idea to know the stream/river conditions before heading out on your trip. Use these resources below to find data on your stream.
- USGS has many resources about stream conditions, both past and present. For quick and easy access, our interactive map allows you to find a stream gauge near you and provides a link to the data on the USGS site. Additionally, you may use one of the sites below. On the sites, use the dropdown menu on the left under “Predefined Displays” to find current gauge measurements; use the menu at the top right to find other data types or to change the location.
Fish and Aquatic Plant Identification:
- Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency Fish Attractor Map
- Tennessee State Parks Fishing Locator
- Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency Bank Fishing Locator
- Tennessee 12 Month Fishing Calendar
- Kentucky Dept. of Fish and Wildlife Resources Water Body Locator
- Kentucky Dept. of Fish and Wildlife Resources Public Land Locator
- Kentucky Dept. of Fish and Wildlife Resources Smallmouth Streams
- Kentucky’s Trout Streams
- Kentucky State Park Fishing Locator
- Kentucky Dept. of Fish and Wildlife Resources Fish Attractor Map