Dragon Boat Races at Riverfest
September 10 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pmFree
DRAGON BOAT RACING HEADS TO RIVERFEST
It’s an exciting year for Riverfest! The festival returns and welcomes a new reason to enjoy the Cumberland River. Dragon Boat Racing will make its debut at this year’s festival, offering an opportunity for the Clarksville community to get out on the water to participate in this adrenaline-pumping river sport!
Local nonprofit, Cumberland River Compact will introduce Dragon Boat Racing to Clarksville at this year’s Riverfest in addition to expanding its restoration efforts and environmental education programming to the area. The Compact plans to launch a large restoration project on the Red River in Billy Dunlop Park in Fall, 2022.
For the last 14 years, the Cumberland River Compact has hosted its annual Dragon Boat Festival in Nashville, TN, and aims to bring all the fun, competition, energy, and excitement of Dragon Boat Racing to the Cumberland River in Clarksville, TN. We know Riverfest is an important event to the Clarksville community and we hope bringing the Dragon Boat races to the event will help increase the love and appreciation for the Cumberland River and those who steward it.
All race proceeds support the Cumberland River Compact in their mission to enhance the health and enjoyment of the Cumberland River and its tributaries by addressing the root causes of water pollution.
WHAT IS DRAGON BOAT RACING?
Dragon boat racing is an adrenaline-pumping water sport beloved for its high-energy, friendly competition, and team-building nature.
Rooted in ancient Chinese tradition, dragon boat racing dates back more than 2,000 years and was practiced each year on life-sustaining rivers as a ritual to bring good crop yields in the coming season.
Dragon boats are 46ft long and are filled with teams of 20 paddlers, 1 drummer, and one professional steer person. Teams of up to 35 people race 250 meters on the Cumberland River in heats throughout the day.
Dragon boat racing is not about athletic ability – it takes a team paddling in unison to win a race – just like it takes many people working together to protect our waters.
2022 REGISTRATION FEES
Community team or Nonprofit – $1,000
Corporate Team – $1,500
* Take off $200 when you refer another team!
WHAT YOU NEED TO REGISTER A TEAM
- A TEAM CAPTAIN
- ABILITY TO PULL TOGETHER 21 PADDLERS
- COMPLETE REGISTRATION BEFORE AUGUST 1. An invoice will follow registration that is payable within 30 days of registration online or by check.
WHAT CAN I EXPECT AFTER REGISTRATION?
- Complete registration payment within 30 days
- Attend team captain and paddler social to prepare for race day
- Schedule your team practice. Practices will be held during the week leading up to the race.
- Pick your team NAME
- Pick your team SONG
- Pick your team MASCOTT. This fun, spirited person that dresses up typically is the team’s drummer and sits at the front of the boat to beat the drum as their team paddles. They also participate in the drummer dance-off!
- Come up with your team UNIFORM. Teams typically have matching t-shirts just for the races or company-branded t-shirts!
- All day of race duties will be covered at the team social!
“The Cumberland River Dragon Boat Festival is my favorite day of the year. I’ve been participating for a decade, because there’s no other event that gets first-time paddlers on the water in the same way. With that perspective, they can see how important the Cumberland River Watershed is to the health of our cities,” says Margaret Littman, co-owner of Nashville Paddle Co. “Plus, it is fun to wear a costume and see how a coordinated team can paddle in sync and beat a bigger, stronger competitor.”
- Wild SideTV-Dragon Boat Races
- An Intro to Dragon Boat Racing
- Annual Cumberland River Dragon Boat Festival
The Cumberland River Compact’s Nashville festival was referred to as the “most unique in the state” for its food vendors, activities, and setting. https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/tennessee/nashville/dragon-boat-festival/
REGISTER BEFORE AUGUST 15!