Paying for BMPs

BMPs: How do I pay for them?

Making positive changes isn’t always cheap but many best management practices can save you money in the long term, and there are organizations and agencies that offer grants or loans to help.

Federal Grant and Cost-Share Programs

The organization Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education (SARE) has compiled a comprehensive guide to federal programs relating to agriculture, forestry, and rural development.  The publication can be found at and covers 60 different programs, including the following funding sources related to preserving our waters.  Talk with your local USDA office (see Contacts page) for more in depth info on how to get involved!

  • Agricultural Conservation Easement Program (ACEP)
  • Conservation Innovation Grants (CIG)
    • The CIG provide a funding source for innovative techniques for conservation in conjunction with agriculture. 10% of funding is set-aside for beginning/limited resource farmers and/or Native American tribes.  50% non-federal matching funds required, open to state and local governments, non-profits, and individuals.  For more information visit
  • Conservation Loan and Loan Guarantee Program
    • The Conservation Loan program is administered by Farm Service Agency (FSA) and funds loans for water conservation, forest cover, permanent pasture establishment, highly erodible land protection, and conservation buffer practices. Priority is given to beginning or disadvantaged farmers/ranchers and those using loans to convert to organic/sustainable systems or to protect erodible lands.  For more information visit
  • Conservation Reserve Program (CRP), Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program (CREP), and Conservation Reserve Program Transition Incentives Program (CRP TIP)
    • These three similar programs are administered by the Farm Services Agency. The CRP and CREP fund cropland to pasture/grassland conversion, riparian buffers, and other conservation practices that retire land from crop production.  These “rental” programs establish a long-term conservation contract with the landowner, providing annual payments for enrolled land. The CRP TIP provides two additional annual payments to retiring farmers who sell expiring CRP land to beginning or disadvantaged farmers/ranchers to be returned to production in an environmentally responsible manner.  For more information visit

  • Forest Stewardship Program (FSP)
  • Organic Certification Cost Share Programs
  • Regional Conservation Partnership Program (RCPP)
    • The RCPP provides funding for conservation practices, conservation planning, and monitoring. State and local governments, NGO’s, and farmer cooperatives/producer associations are eligible for funding.  This program would be most useful for a group of producers looking at addressing a conservation issue within a region or watershed in conjunction with a local municipality or NGO (such as the Cumberland River Compact if you live in the Cumberland Basin).  For more information visit
  • Rural Energy for America Program (REAP)

The REAP provides grants up to $250,000 for energy efficiency or $500,000 for renewable energy.  The program provides up to 25% USDA cost share or up to 75% guaranteed loan.  For more information visit or your local USDA Rural Development Office.

  • Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education (SARE)
    • SARE grants support researchers, graduate students, and producers. Producers wishing to explore a new sustainable production method or technology can receive funds for implementation, research and demonstration.  To learn about what’s been funded in Tennessee visit

To learn more about any of these programs, visit the links above or contact your local USDA Service Center (see  page 13 for contacts).  The Farm Service Agency (FSA), Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS), USDA Rural Development, and Soil Conservation Districts (SCDs) are all invaluable resources when considering options for conservation practices.


What are BMP’s?    

Are There Certifications for River Friendly Farms?     

Who do I contact to learn more or get expert advice?

Download pdf