The Obey River Watershed is approximately 947 square miles and has an estimated population of about 40,000 people. Use the map below to find out if you live in the watershed or to simply explore! The area within the purple boundary is within the watershed.
Water Quality in the Obey River Watershed
There are 1,040 miles of streams and rivers in the Obey River Watershed, as well as the 28,000 acre Dale Hollow Lake. Within the watershed, the states of Tennessee and Kentucky report that roughly 119 miles are impaired. The most common impairments are pH, sedimentation, and iron. The most common source of impairment is abandoned mining.
Looking for Adventure? The Obey’s Got You Covered!
- Dale Hollow State Resort Park
- Dale Hollow Wildlife Management Area
- Jackson Swamp Wildlife Management Area
- Pickett State Park
- Sgt. Alvin C. York
- Skinner Mountain Wildlife Management Area
Learn More about the Obey River Watershed
- TDEC – Obey River Watershed Website
- TDEC – Water Pollution Control Interactive Map
- TDEC – 303d Reports on Impaired TN Waters
- EPA’s Surf Your Watershed Site: Obey River Watershed
- Obtain NatureServe species data for this watershed (including rare and endangered species)
Page produced in collaboration with
The Nature Conservancy of Tennessee