11th Annual Catfish Rodeo
Saturday, June 8, 2013
Lake Sevier, Shelby Park
Cumberland River Compact
8:30 am – 10:30 am: Fishing Rodeo on Shelby Park’s Lake Sevier (Registration starts at 7am)
8:00 am – 11:00 am: Scavenger Hunt and Activity Booths
This FREE family festival is all about our connecting children to our local waters. The Cumberland River Compact and Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency partner each June to offer Middle Tennessee youth the opportunity to fish for free. No experience necessary! The day involves 1,700 pounds of catfish stocked in Lake Sevier, an exciting flight of fishing, educational booths and activities for children and parents. Our educational booths involve fishing, boating and water education activities that all ages can enjoy.
Catfish Rodeo Frequently Asked Questions:
- The Rodeo is free and open to the first 600 registered juniors aged 5-16. A fishing license is not required.
- There will be some loaner poles, but it is strongly recommended to bring your own fishing pole.
- There will one flight for fishing. Fishing will begin in the morning at 8:30 a.m. and end at 10:30 a.m. Registration begins at 7 am.
- Trophies and/or Prizes will be awarded at 11:15a.m. for the heaviest stringer (1st, 2nd, and 3rd) by the three age groups (Ages 5-8, 9-12 and 13-16).
- Participants are required to supply their own fishing pole, tackle, bait (some bait will be available for purchase) and fish cooler. Each participant allowed to fish with only one fishing pole with one hook. No artificial lures or plugs allowed.
- Parent/Guardian must accompany youth (ages 5-12) and stay near youth while fishing. Parents cannot fish for youth; only assist in baiting/casting/taking fish off hook.
- Participants are encouraged to print out and fill in registration form prior to event. Please bring form to registration booth between 7:00 am and 8:15 am on June 8.
Help us wrangle another successful Catfish Rodeo! Volunteers are needed for preparation and event day support. Contact Carolyn Wright at 615.837.1151 or email Carolyn.Wright@CumberlandRiverCompact.org.